Seaside Stargazing at Green’s Shore
Brought to you by Downtown Summerside.
Unplug and zoom out.
Join us for a mindful stargazing experience under the open night sky. This event offers an opportunity to connect with yourself and the natural world in a unique way, and to witness the beauty and magic of the world under the cover of darkness.
about this event...
Thursday, Aug 17th • 8:15 pm – 9:30 pm
This family-friendly event includes guided movement and mindfulness exercises designed to encourage presence, connection, and relaxation. While stargazing is a central component of the event, the focus is not solely on the stars themselves: it’s on the experience of being in the moment, appreciating the vastness of the universe, and cultivating a sense of awe and wonder through connection with the world around you.
This experience will take place at Green’s Shore along Summerside’s beautiful boardwalk. We will meet at the gazebo (across from Sunny's Dairy Bar) to first witness the sunset over the ocean, then as the sky transforms we’ll enjoy a mindful walk along the waterfront to invigorate our senses. Expect to stop along the way for gentle movement and breathing exercises, and other mindful activities to witness and connect with our surroundings. Intentionally timed to coincide with the New Moon, the sky will be at its darkest, allowing for a clear view of the twinkles in the night sky.
Who is this event for?
This event is suitable for all ages and experience levels - no movement, mindfulness, or stargazing experience necessary!
PLEASE NOTE: While our dog pals are permitted on this boardwalk, we ask that you please leave them at home for this event so that we’re not distracted by loving them so much. Thank you!
What should I expect?
This experience will take place at Green’s Shore along Summerside’s beautiful boardwalk.
We will meet at gazebos across from Sunny's Dairy Bar to witness the sunset over the ocean, then as the sky transforms, we’ll enjoy a mindful walk along the waterfront to invigorate our senses.
Expect to stop along the way for gentle movement and breathing exercises, and other mindful activities to witness and connect with our surroundings.
Intentionally timed to coincide with the New Moon, the sky will be at its darkest, allowing for a clear view of the twinkles in the night sky.
Where do we meet/park?
We'll meet at the gazebo along the Summerside boardwalk - across from Sunny's Dairy Bar!
There is plenty of road parking and a couple of parking lots along the boardwalk. Please don't park at Sunny's dairy bar!
If you're running late, head west along the boardwalk and keep an eye out for a group of VERY AMAZING AND COOL people staring at the sunset/sky/ocean/world hehe
PS: the closest public bathrooms are at the Credit Union Place! They close at 9pm.
What should I bring?
Since this is a late-night stargazing event, here’s a list of things to consider to make the experience more enjoyable for you.
Please note that we'll be walking and you'll want to be hands free, so if you're taking things with you, please consider bringing a backpack or bag that you could set on the grass for some activities.
- Dress in layers. Even on a summer night, temperatures can drop significantly after dark. Consider bringing along extra sweaters and jackets in case it gets cold. Wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing.
- Bring blankets or chairs. We will be resting at points during the walk, so feel free to bring a blanket and/or a light portable chair for added comfort - or you can lounge in the grass!
- Snacks and drinks. Pack some food to enjoy during the event. Bring hot tea or cocoa to keep warm on chilly nights. Please always dispose of your waste appropriately.
- Flashlights or headlamps. Although our walk will be well-lit along the boardwalk, feel free to bring a flashlight or headlamp if it helps you to navigate in the dark. Note: red lights are best as they do not affect night vision (we do want it to be dark in order to see the stars!).
- Insect repellent. Bugs are generally attracted to the warmth of our body (and light!), so it's a good idea to bring some spray to ward off mosquitoes and other pests.
- Another set of eyes. While telescopes or binoculars are not necessary for this event, perhaps you’d like to bring some to enhance your viewing experience!
The closest public bathrooms are at the Credit Union Place. They close at 9pm.
What if it rains?
In the case of heavy rainfall, this event will be cancelled & rescheduled for SUNDAY JULY 16, SAME TIME SAME PLACE.
Keep an eye on our socials to stay updated!
How do I register?
No registration is necessary. Just show up!
Please note: if you arrive late for this event you can still join! But please be quiet and mindful of those who have already started their practice 😊
PLEASE NOTE: EACH PARTICIPANT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY AT ALL TIMES